mY beauTiful MesS

04 May 2008

eiGhT beLLeS

last night i experienced my first, as well as my last, spectating of the kentucky derby. although it is "the kentucky derby", its one of those things i just have never had any interest in and im never anywhere where its on and thus, ive just never seen it. watching all of the pre-race hoopla, i struggled to understand what the heck was going on. all the women were in crazy hats and they sang this song that everyone sang as if it were the national anthem with all of this patriotism and what not. i dont know, its obviously an event steeped in tradition of which i am totally ignorant. at any rate, as the race began i was just as shocked to see how quickly it ended. for all of the press this race gets, it lasts all of like 2 minutes. its very unimpressive, if you ask me. but all of these reasons have nothing to bear on why ive boycotted the kentucky derby for the remainder of my life. that decision was made because of this: as soon as the race was over, eight belles, who was the horse who came in 2nd, looked as if she tripped or something and she went down. they showed her laying on the track. it was really sad, but not nearly as sad as what happened next....so i guess they brought in all the EMT's(actually, they called it the equine ambulance on tv) for horses and found that she had broken both of her ankles and the only option was to euthenize her. like right there, on the track, only minutes after she had finished 2nd in the kentucky derby. they didnt show it or anything but it was heartbreaking. im not even like a horse fan. they're pretty and look like they are fun to ride, but that's the extent in my affection towards these equestrian beauties. yet seeing this chain of events tore at my heart. thats wierd, i know, but it did. so much so, that ive decided to boycott these festivities for the rest of my years. the horsing community is not missing out on much without my participation as, like i said, this was the first race i'd ever seen, but still. you'd think they'd have been able to do something...i guess thats enough. R.I.P eight belles....

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It was appalling. I couldn't stop crying for an hour. Even now, seeing it all again--it breaks my heart that such a beautiful animal died for a bunch of drunk gamblers.

11:22 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

I still remember the horse races I went to with your family and the $20 your dad gave us to see what we could make of it. If we had anything over 20 at the end we could keep it...if I remember correctly you and I combined our money but I still don't think we did to well in the end!

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home