mY beauTiful MesS

14 April 2008

sHhh...dOn't tEll JoEy


although sweet cereal holds fond memories for me, i am not a big connesuier of the sugary variety of breakfast fare these days. growing up, saturday mornings were special days when my brother and i were allowed to enjoy any cereal we so desired. it was the designated morning that we could indulge in cartoons and the empty calories of cereal sweetness. i loved this day as a child and savored every bowl of this sugary goodness. as an adult however, ive found sweet cereal as a whole to be sub-par. it is certainly not a filling cuisine and given the choice, id rather spend the calories on the more luxurious varieties of sugar. icecream, cakes, chocolate, you get my drift. but, last night as i searched the pantry for a little snack, i ran across joey's box of lucky charms and it just appealed to me for whatever reason. although the box was more then half empty, i poured myself a bowl and sat down to reminisce on the days where such food was considered a delicacy. as i finished the bowl, i realized my palette had not been satisfied and i went for another round. yet upon going to pour another bowl-full, i realized my affinities were not towards the cereal as a whole, but only for the charms, the marshmallow bits of yummy-ness. and thus, i proceeded to pick out every last marshmallow left in that half box of lucky charms. i am not proud of this, as 15 minutes later, i was still relatively hungry and there was not a marshmallow to be found. i had eaten each and every one. while i should have just thrown the rest of the cereal away, i decided to avoid a conflict with the ever so observant child of mine who would look into the cupboard the next morning and inquire what had become of his box of lucky charms. i returned the marshmallow-less box to the shelf and am hoping to get to the store before my indulgences are discovered. i have carried on the tradition of saturday being the official sweet cereal morning and therefore have a couple of days with which to tamper with the evidence. it was a rare binge which i wouldn't recommend as it did nothing to satiate the hunger, or the taste i was looking for. ive thus concluded to keep sweet cereal as a novelty for the young. apparently ive outgrown my childhood tastebuds...

3 Comments:

Blogger Laura Vannatta said...

I just have to give you credit for doing what I have always wanted to do...but never had the guts. Instead I settle for just eating all the oats in my bowl first and then eat the marshmallows. I know, I'm a rebel ;) But you, my dear, have raised the bar.

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh the days of old..... i yearn for the saturday mornings of nintendo, cartoons, and lucky charms again. a good memory sister... and i may just need to fill my pallet with the marshmallow bits of joy that you wrote of. Thank you for the memory.
Daniel

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh the days of old..... i yearn for the saturday mornings of nintendo, cartoons, and lucky charms again. a good memory sister... and i may just need to fill my pallet with the marshmallow bits of joy that you wrote of. Thank you for the memory.
Daniel

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home