mY beauTiful MesS

10 February 2006

cHildhoOd PondErinGs


okay. I grew up on the move, certainly not as much as military families, but I've seen my fair share of the East coast. I'm pretty sure that this recurring question that has come to my mind off and on through the years stems from one or all of these moves as my mom, brother and I began to navigate our new surroundings. As far as my memory remembers, one of the biggest frustrations seemed to revolve around road names... the name of a road would just completely change at an intersection, or it would switch to another name for a couple miles and then switch back to its original name, or, and this is what really seemed to get us: their would be like 8 roads within 5 square miles that all shared the same name(umm, can we say Peachtree in Atlanta, there are seriously like 50 of them). So, this got me thinking, and for some reason, I still spend a good amount of time (while trying to fall asleep of course...) pondering this thought: So, if at the onset of road-naming, a rule had been placed stating that no road name could duplicate that of another, but anything goes with the added bonus of being able to use up to 3 names in any combination(ex. Natalie Lynn Elliott Ln could be used as well as Elliott Natalie Lynn Ln) would it be possible to have every road, street, court, avenue, lane, etc. in the entire country possessing a differernt name? Deep thoughts as a youngster, I know, but if you ever get a few minutes, ponder this dilemna. I don't think there is an answer, but using every word in the English language, as well as proper names and titles, in different combos, thats a heck of a lot of street names. On the other hand, the city of Columbus alone has sooo many neighborhoods with seemingly millions of little roads let alone driving out to the country and realizing how many little lanes their are hidden out there? Okay, I'll stop now, but think about it sometime..seriously:)

1 Comments:

Blogger Charity said...

I bet we'd all have a great vocabulary as a result!

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home